Steady as She Goes

I figured I had better sit down to write an entry before I forgot how!

My apologies for being absent of late, but we are still pretty busy with preparing for the move. The house was officially listed last week and we have had 3 showings. All of the reviews were positive, most importantly the fact that all three thought the house was at a fair price. So we are just in a waiting game. Keeping the house nearly show-ready and then doing the final spit-polishing before they occur.

I have knocked down the to-do list to just 2 items. One is come interior trim around a window that went into the cabin, but at the time the addition took place. There was a bit of drywall patchwork to do and then prime-paint. I got the drywall work done this week and today Nora and I teamed up for the painting. I hope to make the trim tomorrow and get it hung.

The other task left to do is to is to put the battens up on the siding for the utility room and then get all of that siding painted. My brother came over on Thursday and helped out a TON with getting the “board” part of the board and batten siding up. In fact, other than trim the end of a few of the boards square and give some minor technical advice. He did ALL the work and did a great job too!

I am still not feeling 100% or even close to it, but we do know what is wrong and there are fixes in the works. They require me to travel to Wausau and spend a few days in the hospital, but nothing that should be too dramatic. Hopefully all of that will be able to be done this week and I can get back to living a normal life. It has been a challenging months to say the least. The good news is that I have managed to take off 25 pounds and I have been able to experience what it will be like to be a 90 year old man!

This past week was pretty quiet around here, as Gracie was off at summer camp. It is amazing how things slow down and also quiet down without that little girl around here. Nora and I did take advantage of the situation by having some relaxing dinners out as well as spending some time at the beach doing absolutely nothing but laying in the sun and listening to the waves roll up onto the shore.

Friday morning we picked her up from camp and then later that day we all (including the pups) headed to the beach to enjoy the beautiful day. All of us, including the pups, enjoyed the afternoon. Huck was content to just sit and take in the sun and lake, while Bleau just had to keep busy doing something. Fun to watch, but not very relaxing, but we have gone through it with all of our dogs at this age. He sure loves to dig and tends to pay little attention to where his dug up material goes!

That about covers it for this one. The only other news I have to share is that it is looking very likely that the Keweenaw Snowmobile Club will be building a brand new groomer barn! It will be located across the highway from the Trailside Lodge in Calumet, just to the south of the cemetery, not in it! We are hoping to coordinate a weekend or to for folks to come up and help us get some of the work done. We have not broken ground yet and the lot still needs to be prepped and utilities brought in, but once the slab is in, then we are hoping with a decent sized crew we can get it farmed in one weekend and then weather tight the next. As soon as I know when those weekends might be happening, I will be sure to let you know!

Good night from the Keweenaw..